Code of Practice :
The Code of Practice articulates the knowledge, skills and methods that define the practice of yoga teaching by Accredited Teachers. These are the hallmarks of Satyananda Yoga teaching.
1. We acknowledge the ancient wisdom and tradition of yoga and the integrated system of yoga practices developed by Swami Satyananda Saraswati as the source of our inspiration and the basis of our yoga teaching.
2. We teach yoga within the limits of our training, experience and competence in this integrated system, and from the knowledge gained by ongoing personal practice.
3. We structure our yoga classes in a way that gives students time and space to develop their awareness and to witness their own experiences as they perform yoga practices. We encourage personal responsibility in students.
4. We teach predominantly by verbal instruction, demonstrate practices where necessary, observe the practices of students, provide feedback where appropriate, and seek to maintain a non-competitive and relaxed atmosphere in the class.
5. We systematically teach a range of integrated practices in a gradual, safe, balanced and caring way. We exercise professional discretion at all times in selecting only those practices appropriate to students in any particular teaching situation and state appropriate contra-indications for the yoga practices.
6. We see yoga practices as a pathway to holistic personal development assisting both students and teachers to meet their physical, emotional, mental and spiritual potential. We teach practices that work on all the koshas/layers of the human being and encourage a deeper awareness of the movement of energy in the body.
7. We are mindful of students’ health issues, needs and limitations, and where appropriate seek guidance from, and/or refer students to, more experienced teachers and other practitioners.
8. We embrace the need for ongoing professional development as we continue to expand our skills and knowledge of teaching and practicing yoga, network/share experiences with and support other accredited teachers.