Yoga at the Museum
Theme is Opposites
August 19, Saturday
11 AM-12:30 PM
Yama & Niyama Monthly Study Group
with Swami Atmarupa
Sundays, 4-5:30 PM
Sep 10, Oct 8, Nov 5
Attend one or all!
Intro to Yoga Psychology & The Bhagavad Gita
Saturday, September 30, 2-4 PM
2017 INDIA TRIP!
with Swami Atmarupa
Trip includes a course with Swami Niranjanananda, visits to two Ashrams, sightseeing and much more!
Nov. 25th-Dec. 19th
Resilience - A Quality to Build
A New Blog from Swami Atmarupa
Recordings of Guided Yoga Practices and More!
Swami Atmarupa Saraswati
(aka Beverly Roberts Singh) AYT-L2, E-RYT 500, RPYT, RCYT, YACEP
Atmarupa means "Form of the true Self"
Swami Atmarupa is the Founder and Director of the Atma Center, an award winning SATYANANDA YOGA® center that opened in Cleveland Heights, Ohio in 1997. She was honored to be one of the founding Yogacharyas of the Yoga Vidya Council of the International Yoga Fellowship Movement at the Bihar School of Yoga in India in 2015. She is also the Education Director of the Yoga Academy of North America, the sole provider of Yogic Studies and Teacher Training courses in Satyananda Yoga in North America.
Swami Atmarupa has taught internationally in Australia, Colombia, Mexico, and India as well as presenting a weekend program at the Omega Institute in 2010, and presenting at the Yoga Alliance conference in 2011 and 2012.
Swami Atmarupa grew up in a small crossroad community in the middle of the cornfields of NW Ohio called Ai, in a family that never traveled. From a relatively humble and isolated childhood, she has gone on to travel around the world. She has been scuba diving on the Great Barrier Reef, walked on the Great Wall of China, explored ancient Tibet, seen Macchu Pichu under the full moon, ridden camels through the Indian desert, trekked to the source of the Ganges River in winter, bicycled from the Taj Mahal to Delhi, and even lived in Kathmandu, Nepal for about two years. While living in Nepal, Atmarupa trekked to Mt. Everest base camp, taught English, met and married her former husband and helped him manage a restaurant there.
During her 25-year career as an anesthetist, Atmarupa spent years providing anesthesia for open heart surgery and other major procedures. She was on the faculty at the Cleveland Clinic for 10 years. She specialized in obstetrical anesthesia at St. Luke's Hospital during the last five years of her career. She feels that both anesthesia and yoga involve the study of varying levels of consciousness and the ability to control them. Both studies also require the development of intense levels of awareness.
- B.A., Anthropology
- Diploma in Nurse Anesthesia
- Diploma in Nursing
- Diploma of Satyananda Yoga Teaching (Australia)
- Yogacharya from Paramahamsa Niranjanananda Saraswati, 2015 (Bihar, Indida)
- Poorna Sannyasa Initiation from Paramahamsa Niranjanananda Saraswati, 2007 (Rikhiapeet, India)
- Karma Sannyasin Initiation from Paramahamsa Niranjanananda Saraswati, 2001 (Bihar, India)
- Mantra & Name Initiation from Paramahamsa Niranjanananda Saraswati, 1995 (Bihar, India)
Retreat Leader and Speaking Engagements
- Omega Institute, NY - 2010 Weekend Retreat
- Himalayan Institute, PA - 2011 Weekend Retreat
- Yoga Alliance Leadership Conference - 2011, 2012 Speaker
- Huatulco, Mexico - 2014, 2016 Week Long Retreat
- Vedanta Center, Chicago - 2015 Day Long Retreat
Certifications, Registrations, Accreditations
- Accredited Yoga Teacher Level 2, SATYANANDA YOGA®, 2003
- Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher (E-RYT), Yoga Alliance (500 hours)
- Registered Prenatal Yoga Teacher (RPYT), Yoga Alliance
- Registered Children Yoga Teacher (RCYT), Yoga Alliance
- Yoga Alliance Continuing Education Provider (YACEP)
- Member, International Association of Yoga Therapists
Workshops, courses and other trainings
- Attended Chakra Sadhana Course in Munger, India - 2015
- Attendance at Raj Sooya Yajna in Rkhia, India - 2001, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2010
- Attendance at Yoga Purnima in Rikhia, India - 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
- Attended Yogic Lifestyle and Satsang Week in Munger, India - 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
- Kriya and Tattwa Shuddhi course in Rikhia, India 2006
- International In-service in Munger, India 2004
- Extensive international participation in SATYANANDA YOGA® workshops, satsangs, and continuing teacher training from 2003 - present
- American Sanskrit Institute level 1 & 2 training
- Anusara teacher training, 100+ hours
- Facilitator Certification Level 1, YogaKids
Photo credit: © Madhura Saraswati, 2010